Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Where is your stockpile?


Sometimes its fun to look at a verse in a few different translations to help get fresh perspective. Following is Matthew 6:19-20 in The Message.

Don't hoard treasure down here where it gets eaten by moths and corroded by rust or—worse!—stolen by burglars. Stockpile treasure in heaven, where it's safe from moth and rust and burglars. It's obvious, isn't it? The place where your treasure is, is the place you will most want to be, and end up being.

Its hard to not hear the words hoarding and stockpiling. You can't turn on your tv anymore with seeing a show that shows the ugliness of hoarding and extreme couponers showing off their stockpile. The difference between these two types
of shows is that one shows people ashamed of how they live
(yet unwilling to change) and the other shows people proud of how they live.

God tells us very clearly in these verses that we are not to hoard treasures on earth. They won't last. It is true, you can't take it with you! But you can create a stockpile for yourself in Heaven.The things we do here on earth have eternal consequences. God wants to reward us with treasures in Heaven. So why concern ourselves with the things of this world? They will rot and pass away. Sure, they may provide us with temporary satisfaction, but for me eternal treasures seem so much more exciting!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, what a wonderful message!!! I truly want my treasures to be in heaven...not in this old sin filled world!!! Thanks for sharing and for stopping by and commenting at Jeremiah 29:11. I love what you say at the top of your blog..."God colored glasses"!!! ;-) HOPE you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful message and we need it! Yes I try so hard not to hoard :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stuff can be such a burden. It is pleasing for a moment, then becomes a mountain and a burden.
    Wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  4. my heart hurts when i've seen the hoarders on tv...
    his word is our hope
    thanks!

    http://skootsonemom.blogspot.com/2011/07/word-filled-wednesdayeternal-inclusion.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm your newest follower. IF you decide to ever follow me or visit me again, I'll warn you that I'm in the process of transferring my blog to Wordpress. My new name will be "My Destiny -- Sharing the Hope of Christ." I hope to see you!

    Ok, that closet looks way too much like all of MINE. We live in a home that is over 100 years old (with small closets). Even though I purge and purge -- they always seem too full.

    Thankful for my treasures in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great message and vivid illustration. Thinking of hoarding does make me think of that tv show. And I would in no way want to hoard up the things of earth...my treasure awaits in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great verse and illustration! Thank you for this word!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, there. Found you from a Company Girl Coffee today. I appreciate this post. Curious what you'd tell Christian stockpilers who believe it's only wise to put up food for the hard times they believe, according to scripture, is coming. I have extended family who buy into the famine-is-coming-let's-be-like-Joseph mentality that I find motivated by fear, not wisdom. Maybe I'm the wrong one. ??

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zoanna, that is a tricky one! There are lots of people who have stockpiles out there of food and such. I think balance is the key with anything. For instance, I coupon because I believe its good stewardship. If I see a good deal on lets say gatorade I will stock up for the next month or two, only because I know they will get used and I'm saving money. As far as stockpiling for a disaster, I don't do that. I think the important thing in any decision is to pray and seek God's guidance.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Pondering with me! Let me know your thoughts!