Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Square Peg...Round Hole...That's Me...


I've been just a little different from the beginning. I came into this world feet first instead of head first, I'm a lefty in a right-handed world, an introvert in an extrovert world, a Mary in a Martha world, a stay-at-home mom in a world where women are a great presence in the workforce, a homeschooler on a block full of public school teachers, and a Christian in a non-Christian world!  I'm a square peg in a round hole and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Have you ever felt out of place somewhere? Like everyone was staring at you because they could tell you didn't belong there? That is how we are to feel here on earth. God put us here, but only for a season. We will only feel truly at home in heaven.  
But our citizenship is in heaven..Philippians 3:19 

Because our citizenship is in heaven, there will be times when we do not feel at home in this world. But we need to remember our mission here is not to feel at home; we do not want to become a round peg!
And do not be conformed to this world...Romans 12:2

The Bible is full of men and women who were square pegs...God used each and everyone of them. Abraham traveled and was an alien in a new land and he became the father of a great nation. Joseph was forced to be a slave in a foreign country, yet God used him to save many lives. Esther was an alien and yet God used her for "such a time as this" and saved a nation. 

I think God does his best work with square pegs. He likes to take something that doesn't quite fit, isn't quite at home, or would otherwise be overlooked and  use that square peg for his glory! Some more recent examples of square pegs are two of my heroes, Cori ten Boom and Elisabeth Elliot.



Cori ten Boom was a Christian in a Jewish concentration camp. She did not belong there, nobody did. She did not stifle her voice though. She shared her faith and led Jewish women to know the Lord, her influence in their lives may not have been the same had she not been a square peg.




Elisabeth Elliot lived among the Auca Indians. She was very much a square peg, she was  a white woman among a very violent people, the very people who murdered her husband. She was able to share the Good News with these people and lead them to the Lord, this did not happen because she was one of them, but because she was a square peg.





How about you? Are you a square peg or a round peg? I personally like not fitting into the round hole. For I want a life that is set apart, a life that honors the Lord!


 Linking up today with:




12 comments:

  1. I used to be a 'round peg'...always worrying about what others thought and striving to fit in. I have been a believer since a young age, but still felt like I didn't want to be 'the prude' of the group. I am proud to say that's not the case anymore. I do my best not to judge anyone but to be the best that I can be. I want to be awesome enough to inspire others to ask, "What's different about her?" "Why is she always so positive?" I'm a work in progress, but with God's help, I am becoming a square peg!

    (Thanks for your comment....I love hearing from others, it makes my day!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Summer Blessings to you.
    The older I get, the larger my square peg gets that doesn't fit the round hole! haha

    Thx for stopping by homehaven and sharing a comment,
    d

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel just like you - a total square peg and an outsider in an insider's world. I try to remember that I'm already an insider where it counts - I say I try because being a square peg can be a bit isolating. Thanks for stopping by my blog: I love yours and am a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to put it! Love to find Christian bloggers. Following now from a six in the nest's hop.
    Michelle
    Heartfelt Balance Handmade Life

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooooooo yes I totally feel this way! And it gets more and more so everyday! This is a great blog post! Im glad I came across it! And thankyou for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi thanks for visiting LOV- Yes, I too feel that I am a square peg, actually that my entire family is even within the Christian community. I thank God for making us all so different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it... How easy it is to try to conform into what others expect us to be rather than growing into the woman God wants me to be. Thank you so much! :OD

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this post, I too feel like a "square peg", that is why I just love blog hopping amongst other godly women! Thanks :) ~April

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes, definitely a square peg! What is even more of a blessing is to see our children and their families living as square pegs and being used to influence round pegs!!
    Elizabeth Elliot & Corri ten Boom are my heroes, too!
    Keep sharing, Brenda! God is using you to "bring us to remember where we started in our faith, where we are now and where we are going!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm a visiting Company Girl. I'm trying to get back in the habit of making the rounds for coffee.

    I wouldn't worry about the whole square peg in a round hole thing. I've been that way my whole life even amongst Christians. I put education over marriage. For most of my 20s & 30s I wasn't sure if I wanted to get married, and I've never wanted to be a mother (in a church culture that said a woman's highest calling was to be a wife and mother; I grew up in the Bible belt). I also put my education and career ahead of marriage, which I don't regret as I wouldn't have met my husband otherwise. Yes, I did get married to a wonderful man, but we are not having kids. I've always believed my highest calling is to be a writer and pastor. Still makes me a square peg in a round hole, but now I'm old enough I just don't care. I've discovered I'm my own shape, and I'm not going to fit into any ready-made hole, and that's just fine.

    I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great thoughts, here! Yes, I'm definitely a square peg! I'm still trying to find my place sometimes, but I know God knows what he is doing by putting me in my various roles.

    BTW I landed on your song - lovely! Thanks for sharing it...you have a beautiful voice, and the song's words are great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super post!

    Yes, I am different, and for the most part very comfortable in my skin....it may be more difficult, but that is OK.

    I want to be authentic to whom God made me ~ I want the Potter to make the Peg; not self, the world, or Satan. So, hopefully ~ my peg fits perfectly into the hole of His image.

    Blessings to you, Square Peg, as you, too were born for "such as time as this."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Pondering with me! Let me know your thoughts!