Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pray...


In 1 Thessalonians 5:17 we are told to pray continually. For the most part I know many of us are good at praying for the big stuff; health, kids, marriages, finances, salvation, our friends. We even pray often for these things, but I feel there is a prayer category that we often forget...our pastors.

In Ephesians Paul is writing to the church in Ephesus. In Ephesians 6:19 he says these words: "Pray also for me, that whenever I open my mouth, words may be given me so that I will fearlessly make known the mystery of the gospel." How often during the course of a week do we stop and pray for our pastors? I'm married to a pastor, so you think I would know better. I struggle to remember to pray specifically for him and the other two pastors on staff. I don't always think to pray Ephesians 6:19 for them. They minister daily on the front lines. They meet with people often who need to have the mystery of the gospel explained to them. Pastors need prayer more than just 5 minutes before the sermon on Sunday morning. We need to be lifting up the men that God has put in leadership at our churches. My husband is the Family Life Pastor, so his time preaching from the pulpit is limited. However, he teaches Sunday School and works in Children's Church most weeks, he still has an audience and still needs prayer that he can present the Gospel to those entrusted to him. Think about your church and the pastor(s) on staff there. What hats do these men wear in your church, how do they minister; for every area you can think of, there is an opportunity for prayer.

"Be self-controlled and alert. Your enemy the devil prowls around 
like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour." 
1 Peter 5:8. 
Satan is a crafty one. He knows that since pastors are on the front lines, they are the ones that make the best targets. I can attest to this, pastors and their families face spiritual battles, life is not always easy for ministry families! If Satan can knock down a pastor in any way, he can prevent the Church from doing its job. Let's not let Satan win this battle. Pray for these men who willingly serve God and the Church so sacrificially.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you for the verse and the comments. It really hit home with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photo & scripture. I was reminded of this yesterday as I caught myself praying for God's provision for my family as I wiped clean our dinnertable. Continually! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great word for today and perfect for Wordfilled Wednesday!

    joy & blessings to you,
    Alida

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, pastors and their families are targeted by Satan. I, too, am a pastors wife and know the struggles of knowing too much and fighting negativity. If Satan can get the pastors to fall, he expects the church to follow. They do need prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do pray for our church leaders all of the time. I know that when my husband served as a Bishop he was so grateful for the prayers from our ward members.
    I loved the scripture that you shared.
    We are service missionaries and we rely so much on prayer in our daily work.
    Blessing to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have been so blessed by our pastors (who are amazing Godly men), and we have been praying for them, but your post reminded me to pray more often, and more specifically for them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're a natural born encourager; I can tell from your lovely post here and from your generous comment on my post at incourage. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Pondering with me! Let me know your thoughts!