Pages

Friday, May 27, 2011

A priceless way to pass the torch...

Gas for trip to Texas...$338
Tuition for school... $11,000
One year with Jesus...PRICELESS!! 
That is how I feel about His Hill Bible School in Comfort, Texas. Last week Brian and I made the long drive to Texas to pick up our middle daughter from her year at His Hill; two years ago we made that same trip to pick up our oldest daughter. 

 His Hill is one of 26 Torchbearers Centres in 20 countries on 4 continents around the globe. The main curriculum at these school is the Bible. At His Hill students spend 23 hours a week in classes. They meet Jesus here in a powerful and amazing way. The schools are small and therefore the students, faculty and staff become family. Our daughters have friends from all over the world, from Canada to Argentina and Germany; in fact we sent them to Texas and they came home with a Canadian accent.

The statement of faith for Torchbearers reads like this: "Our mission is to proclaim the transforming presence of Jesus Christ through biblical teaching and practical training, equipping men and women for service in His church worldwide." The phrase repeated most often at this school is "For this I have Jesus."

Discipleship groups (D-groups) were a big part of their experience. They met every Friday and these women were a big part of our daughter's experience.
Abby with her D-group

Ashley with her D-group leader.
 
This the building where the 23 hours of classes happened.

The girls at the front gate.

Below are pictures of the girls on the last night. They are sporting what I call the 
"His Hill Glow". This glow comes from spending a year with Jesus!!
 
 Goodbyes are the hardest part of the year. The first good bye is the family in September, and then the goodbye to all the amazing friends in May. Goodbyes are never fun, but the bonds made at His Hill will stay with these girls for life!
For this I have Jesus
 The year our girls each spent here was truly priceless. We have referred to this as their gap year, the year in between high school and the rest of their lives. It was a tough year for them, but they have also said it was the most life changing year of their lives so far! Their faith was strong when we dropped them off in September, when we picked them up in May it was unshakable! I encourage parents to look into Torchbearers (there are other school similar in nature to these school such as Youth with a Mission) or a Christian college (some of my favorites are listed below) for your graduates. For us, we wanted a place that would help our kids grow in their faith as part of our passing the baton of our faith to our kids!

I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me.  
Galatians 2:20 (New American Standard Bible)

Websites to check out:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Pondering with me! Let me know your thoughts!