Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Right Foundation...

When Brian and I were first married, he worked putting in foundations. He actually did it for several summers during college as well. I remember driving around the Parker, Co area and having him point out houses that he had done foundations on. He did it so much, I just rolled my eyes. He would try and explain just how important this job was; as a building with a poor foundation will not last. I, tried to pay attention and care, but it was hard! To be honest, I didn't really care what went into a strong foundation. I just didn't find construction to be that important to me!

Looking back now, there was more to his job than I realized! His job was important, anyone who's had a foundation crumble beneath their house realizes just how important the right foundation is. All those  houses that Brian pointed out to me; they were all still standing! So Brian and the crew he worked for knew what they were doing. They were laying the right foundation!

Brian also laid another right foundation, this foundation is many times more important than any house foundation ever will be. He made sure Christ was the center of our marriage! He made sure we had the Right Foundation! In fact it was one of the "conditions" he listed for me when he asked me to marry him, that Christ be the center. We sought premarital counsel that focused us on God and how we needed to build our marriage on Him.  The first thing we did alone as a married couple was kneel and pray. I can remember early in our marriage memorizing scripture together. Psalm 1 was the first scripture I ever memorized. I remember hiking in the mountains and us reciting our verses.

 
Psalm 1
 1 Blessed is the man
   who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked
or stand in the way of sinners
   or sit in the seat of mockers.
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
   and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water,
   which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither.
   Whatever he does prospers.

 4 Not so the wicked!
   They are like chaff
   that the wind blows away.
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,
   nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

 6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous,
   but the way of the wicked will perish.

New International Version 1984, ©1984

Christ has always been the foundation of our marriage. Does that mean its always been easy....no! But the fact that we built our marriage on the Solid Rock means that even when shaken it will not be destroyed. Trust me, many storms have tried and in the end, they have failed.

If you are married, thinking about it, or even single, you need to build your life on the Right Foundation, Jesus Christ. One of my absolute favorite songs is In Christ Alone. I get emotional every time we sing it at church or when I hear it on the radio. It is just full of so many truths. I can only get through life in Christ alone, He is my strength, my comforter, my all in all, my cornerstone. I do not look to Brian to be all that to me, he can only be what God created him to be, my spouse, my hero, my best friend, and companion. Christ is where I find true strength, Christ is where my marriage finds true strength. Think about it, isn't a life built on the Right Foundation, the best life possible?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Pondering with me! Let me know your thoughts!