Pages

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Mirrors...

I have a confession to make. I HATE mirrors. I tend to avoid them as much as possible. I believe every fitting room in America has fun house mirrors that make my skin pale, my eyes saggy and my body...well let's just say it's not pretty! Trying on clothes means having to look in a mirror...perhaps that's why I tend to do mostly online shopping, at least then I have the home mirror advantage. Of course, I still don't like what I see even in my own mirror. I see every flaw, every grey hair, every pound, plus about 20 more that don't even exist. Women tell me I'm not alone.


I am my worst critic, not just in the physical of what I see in the mirror. I see through my outer looks and see all the way inside. Some days that just isn't pretty, some days I am just plain ugly in there. That is when my insecurities surface, that is when I start feeling inadequate, unworthy, unloved and alone.


Before you start worrying that I am just one big basket case, let me assure you that God is awesome and over the course of the last 7 years or so, He has been working on me. He has been showing me that I am not exactly as I appear to myself. He has been showing me that I am His princess, His priceless treasure, that I am beautiful, that I am special, that I am not inadequate, that I am worthy, and that I have a purpose!

When I turned 41, many things in my life feel apart, and it was through that trial that God helped me see my identity in Him. It has been a journey for me, with some setbacks, some melt downs, but overall I would say I have more joy, more peace, and a much closer walk with the Lord these days. 

Are you struggling with the person you see in the mirror? God wrote you a love letter and in it He tells you how special you are!

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. 
 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
 Psalm 139:13-14a


... even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and blameless before him. 
Ephesians 1:4 

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10 

There are many more verses...take a look and find some more! 


And just to prove to you that not only can I look in the mirror these days, I can even take a selfie and not want to delete right away...here is a picture of myself. I love taking them once in awhile to freak out my kids, to them I am the lady who runs from cameras!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Pondering with me! Let me know your thoughts!