Pages

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

A recent covert op....

I love being a part of a story that ends with my daughter's face looking like this:


For a few weeks Abby had been telling me about this guy from college named Josh. Let me tell you, when she talked to me about him her eyes sparkled...you know the look! Well, during one of our times of talking about him, I was keeping a bit of a secret from Abby. You see, two days later Brian and I had plans to meet Josh! This was our covert op...we drove 2 1/2 hours to where they go to school and met Josh at a coffee shop...Abby had no clue. Very difficult to be that close to your daughter and NOT go see her. We had a great time of getting to know Josh. He seemed a bit nervous;  I have to admit, that is was kind of fun to see him get a bit nervous!!! Well, at the conclusion of this meeting, Brian gave Josh our blessing to pursue a relationship with Abby. Now the really hard part...not telling Abby before Josh could!! Thankfully I didn't have to wait too long!

The next day I get a text from Abby and it said, "I think I have a date tonight. Josh wants to take me out to eat...at a place nicer than Qdoba!" I, of course, had to act surprised. We texted back and forth for a while and I knew she was freaking out because she would never enter a relationship without her daddy's blessing. So, she was thinking how long she would have to wait until we could meet Josh.


For Abby the night began in a pretty special way. She got a knock on her door from one of her best friends and she made Abby come out of her room...
This is her expression when she opened the door for Katie.

Why is smiling so big???
Oh...yeah...Josh got her flowers to start the night!
So, she was pretty sure this dinner was going to be something a bit special, and she was right. Here's proof that God is behind this whole thing. They spent the first hour talking about human trafficking. I know that doesn't sound romantic exactly, but it shows they both share the same passions! 

Basically after that Josh pulled out a list of things he appreciates about Abby. Pretty sure she was melting at this point. Then comes the question...Abigail Nicole Haynes, will you allow me to pursue your heart? (yeah, I got goose bumps and tears in my eyes at this point in the story). Just as she was ready to tell him, you need to talk to my dad; Josh informed her that he had in fact spoken to both of us and did indeed have her dad's blessing! That blew Abby away; that we were so sneaky and she didn't even know. So she of course said yes. Josh was not done surprising her yet. He then pulled out a list of guidelines for them to follow as they begin this relationship. She showed me the list...it's good! He then presented her with this frame...


 It now hangs on her wall in her dorm room. The right side where it says the first time she said yes, is from the day he took her out for hot chocolate and told her he was interested in getting to know her better. He has also told her that as iron sharpens iron, her faith sharpens him! He included their guidelines and as you can see another Bible verse.

The smile and sparkle are still in Abby's eyes...and we pray they will remain for a long time!!!

2 comments:

  1. Rejoicing with you, Brian and Abby! Happy tears!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! I am VERY proud to call that man my brother and he continues to amaze me with the man of God he has become and is becoming. :) Blessings as you embark on this new chapter of life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Pondering with me! Let me know your thoughts!