Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Complaining in the desert...

http://homepage.mac.com/rmay/BUSINESS.html

I am currently reading through Exodus. This has reminded me of an experiment Brian and I tried when our kids were younger. We were trying to show them how easy it was for the Israelites to complain about the manna they were given. So we came up with what we thought was a great plan. We would do our own manna for a week. So everyday for breakfast the only option was Cheerios and for every other meal we had macaroni  and cheese. It was funny shopping for all the macaroni and cheese. The kids got all excited when they saw all those boxes going in our cart. I imagine that was similar to the excitement of the Israelites when they first figured out that the white flakes on the ground was manna. I thought, oh yeah, this is going to be a great object lesson for them.



 The first day they were just delighted at meal time when those blue boxes of Kraft would come out. I knew that by day two they would start wondering what this was about. Day 2 comes and at lunch and dinner, they just cheered when they saw what we were having. Day 3, Day 4, and Day 5...same response. I'm starting to think...uh oh! In the mean time Brian and I can barely make it through a meal. In fact I "cheated" and added ham to the macaroni after about 4 days, just so we could stomach it.

Bottom line, the kids never once complained. They saw this as a gift. They were extra thankful for this provision of endless mac and cheese. Brian and I, the spiritually "mature" ones, struggled pretty much from the beginning. So a lesson for our kids, became a lesson for us. We need to have the kind of excitement they had for God's provision. Even if God gives us the same thing day after day, we need to not think "Why are you giving me this again God?" We need to think, "Thanks God for blessing me and providing this for me!"

The manna was put there to supply all the needs of the Israelites. They may not have agreed and yes they did grumble, but they remained strong and healthy for 40 years in the wilderness. God knows our needs, much better than we do. So why do we argue with Him when He blesses us? As I read Exodus I no longer think the same of the Israelites. I complained after eating "manna" for 7 days straight, am I really that much different from them? When I am in my own personal wilderness, I just need to praise God for the day to day provisions!

And my God will supply all your needs according to 
His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:19

1 comment:

Thanks for Pondering with me! Let me know your thoughts!