Tuesday, June 28, 2011

You can't outgive God...

This week my husband and son are attending a Homeschool Symposium at LeTourneau University in Longview, TX. The story behind the man who founded the school is an inspiring story. In one of the buildings hangs this tapestry:

Not How Much of Mine Money Do I Give to God. 
But How Much of God's Money Do I Keep for Myself.

R.G. LeTourneau was a man who was blessed with great wealth. He however, did not see this as his money, but rather God's. He lived on only 10% of his income, giving the remaining 90% back to God. 
He is also quoted as saying; "I shovel it out and God shovels it back, but God has a bigger shovel." This quote is appropriate for a man who is known for producing earth moving machines. He literally was shoveling it out! R.G. LeTourneau left behind quite a legacy; he invented nearly 300 machines,he founded missionary efforts in Liberia, Africa and Peru, South America and he founded LeTourneau University (a school that is unapologetically Christian).
I don't know that we are ready to start living off of 10% of our income, but we can look to this man's example and adjust some things in how we live. 

We need to remember that all we have comes from God.  
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

If every good and perfect gift is from God, we need to remember not to hang on so tightly to the things of this world. We don't want to be like a toddler who picks up a toy and yells, "Mine!"

Wants vs. Needs
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19


When shopping we need to ask ourselves is this really a need or is it just a want. This is a tough one because we can justify our purchases. If I'm buying clothes I can say I NEED a few new shirts. That may be true, but do I NEED 10 or do I NEED designer clothes? When buying a car, do I NEED a brand new one with all the latest gadgets, or would a used car work just as good?


You can't out give God! Try it and see for yourself!

My husband and I are currently teaching through a book by Randy Alcorn that addresses this very topic. It is called Money, Possessions and Eternity. If you are looking for a book to read this summer, I highly recommend this one. It is full of God's word and applies it beautifully to our lives.

1 comment:

  1. This post is a great reminder...for a college student...who likes to shop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for Pondering with me! Let me know your thoughts!